This workshop has been POSTPONED due to the new coronavirus.
An updated schedule will be announced later.
The scope of the workshop is to gather scientists working on modeling and observation of Venus atmosphere and to discuss recent results from Akatsuki ovserbations and simulations with Venus atmospheric GCMs in various groups. Recent modeling results of other planetary atmospheres (e.g., Mars and Saturn) will be also discussed.
March 20th - 21st, 2020
- 9:50-10:00 Opening/Local anouncement
- Session 1: Highlights from Akatsuki
- 10:00-10:45 Meridional circulation of the Venusian atmosphere constrained by Akatsuki’s observations (Takeshi Imamura)
- 10:45-11:30 Maintenance of the super-rotation of the Venusian atmosphere diagnosed with data from Akatsuki (Takeshi Horinouchi)
- [11:30-13:00 Lunch break]
- Session 2: Venus Atmospheric Models 1
- 13:00-14:30 The IPSL Venus GCM: current configurations, connexion with mesoscale tools, latest results (Sebastien Lebonnois)
- 14:30-15:30 Technical aspects of our modeling tools and the Venus Climate Database (Ehouarn Millour)
- [15:30-16:00 Coffee break]
- 16:00-16:30 Introduction of a Venus atmospheric GCM, AFES-Venus, and its thermal tide and meridional simulation (Masahiro Takagi)
- 16:30-17:00 Venusian cloud distribution simulated by a general circulation model (Hiroki Ando)
- 17:00-17:30 Introduction to AFES LETKF Data Assimilation System for Venus (ALEDAS-V) (Norihiko Sugimoto)
- [Banquet at CPS]
- Session 3: Venus Atmospheric Models 2
- 09:30-10:30 Atmospheric circulation and waves in Venus AORI GCM: overview and present status (Masaru Yamamoto)
- 10:30-11:00 Formation of sulfuric acid clouds with related chemical reactions simulated in the Tohoku-AORI VGCM (Takeshi Kuroda)
- 11:00-11:30 Venus atmosphere simulated by DCPAM (tentative) (Yoshiyuki Takahashi)
- [11:30-13:00 Lunch break]
- Session 4: Recent activities on models of Martian atmospheres
- 13:00-14:00 Modeling recent martian paleoclimates (<10 Myr) with the LMD-GCM (Joseph Naar)
- 14:00-14:20 Small scale vortical motions in Martian atmosphere simulated in hydrostatic and non-hydrostatic models: Cases in AFES-Mars and SCALE-LES (Kensuke Nakajima)
- 14:20-14:40 Development of a global non-hydrostatic Martian atmospheric model and its high-resolution simulation (Hiroki Kashimura)
- 14:40-15:00 Current status of DRAMATIC MGCM: generation of gravity waves and water cycle (Kuroda Takeshi)
- [15:00-15:30 Coffee break]
- Session 5: Recent activities on models of other planetary atmospheres
- 15:30-16:30 Global Climate modelling of Saturn stratospheric equatorial dynamics (Deborah Bardet)
- 16:30-17:15 Upgrade of the IPSL Titan GCM, latest results on seasonal variations (Sebastien Lebonnois)
- 17:15-17:30 Free discussion & Closing
This workshop is supported by Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (S) of Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), Comprehensive picture of atmospheric circulation of Venus revealed by AKATSUKI data assimilation [JSPS site] [project site], and Center for Planetary Science.